Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy Engagement Day

Today is 1st June, yeah, everybody know that. Do you still remember my old post about my sister entitled Can you find me a lover? Well, guess what everyone, she already get engaged with her boyfriend, Fadzel on the 30th May. I was so excited to make this entry and hoping that my siblings will upload the pictures of the event  as soon as possible but turn out that I had to wait for a few days for it (sigh). I wasn't there to celebrate but doesn't mean I do not care, right?
The couple and my aunt
A week before the event, my mother called and asked about my opinion. Thinking that both the parents have met before so I suggested to make that event in a 'kampung' way, not in a formal way like mine hehe. I actually never saw a real 'kampung' style engagement. When I said it to mom, I imagined they sit and eat together on the floor, seem very unique and very friendly atmosphere to me.
I was happy to see that some of my idea had been used by my mom. The ceremony went well even tough there's a funny story behind it. But, I really cannot share it here for the sake of both families. Anyway, I was glad to hear that all my cousin who cannot come on my big day, were all there.
Fadzel's families

Final decision

Berian (to be given to my sister) : RM1000
Belanja hangus (Total of money to be used for the wedding day) : RM8000 and a cow
Sogit  : A goat

As both are Dusun, so the ceremony also held in a very Dusun way. In a traditional Dusun engagement ceremony, the head of village and the appointee are the most important people . Both parties of the families will be represented by the head of village. At this time the girl proposed to be the fiancée must be in the bedroom or in an other place not to be seen by the male's family. The man's will not be allowed in the girl's living room before the ceremony ends.

The most important in this engagement are berian/mas kahwin, belanja dapur (wang hangus or kitchen expenses), hantaran tunang or dowry, sogit and  the duration of engagement. Berian or or dowry is obligatory as the symbol of the value of the girl's personality and based on the tradition worth RM1,000. The period to perform a marriage ceremony is actually up to both of the family to determine, but usually it takes one year.

Sound very complicated to me, mine is very simple one, hehehe (^.^)v. Anyway, Happy Engagement Day to my sister, Beth @ Farah and her fiancé, Fadzel. May Allah bless you too. I am so sorry I cannot come home, but I will surely be there for your big day, (^.^).

42 comments:

Just said...

congratz to your sister... very the pink oo.. :D my engagement day pun very the simple.. :D

Didz said...

Salam bel! How are you dear?!
Congrats to your Sis. My bro pun recently got engaged to his gf on the 31st May. heehe

Ismail N said...

Happy Engagement Day to your sister. Wah meriah ehhh... I'm pretty sure you care about your sister though you can't be there. Ur sister pon surely understand. Hopefully, you can be back for her big day. Bring your hubby sama ler... :D

Djangan Pakies said...

Assalamu'alaikum.
Semoga kelak menjadi keluarga yang sakinah, mawaddah warrohmah dan diberikan banyak kemudahan dalam segala urusan di dunia dan akhirat, amin.
Biarpun acaranya di dusun, tapi keliatan seru banget.

Zezebel said...

Just, dia suka pink kali tu hehehe. Saya pun simple, tiada sogit2 ni semua..

Zezebel said...

Salam Didz.
hehe, my sister is a day ahead kan?

Zezebel said...

Ismail,
hubby suruh balik Sabah masa tunang ni , tapi tak nak balik sorang-sorang, dia punya cuti dah kurang....huhu time kahwin nanti, confirm datang punya, hehe

Zezebel said...

Salam Djangan Pakies,
Ya, mudah-mudahan perhubungan mereka diberkati, (^.^)

akubiomed said...

Congrats to your sister engagement. Her engagement date fall same date for my eldest son's birthday :-)

hafizmd said...

Tahniah utk bakal mempelai...sama cantik sama padan :D

Menarik dan sungguh unik bila tradisi lama disegarkan kembali...

Tahniah :D

Ismail N said...

Of course dear. Bila dah ada family susah nak jalan sorang2 lagi.. feel incomplete kan? That's why sometimes I don't like to go outstation. Especially bila ada baby kecik di rumah.. Errkk tension ehhh.. :D

Musa Jamaludin said...

Congratulation for your sister's engagement. May Allah bless them and your family too. I'm very sure she's waiting for the big day to come into reality.

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Zezebel, very interesting. Now know what a Dusun style wedding is like.
Love the well taken pics too.
And the couple looks beautiful.
Wishing your sis and hubby all the very best.....
Lee.

StellaClaire-Richard said...

Congrats to ur sister..:)
Lovely couple..

wrizuan[dot]net said...

Happy Engagement Day

Sobri Mansor said...

Teringat waktu bertunang dulu.....

Jolly Princess said...

My congratulations and best wishes to your sister and your brother in law. :)

Alfandi said...

wow, even engagement costs are inflating..thanks for sharing the Dusun culture info..very interesting..

Jai said...

Tahniah2... Semoga berkekalan hingga ke hujung nyawa.. :)

mizzura said...

happy engagement to your sis..!

ONN said...

Congratz Beth!!! Wah! Harap2 nnt kad dia kaler pink togede-gede dgn precise google map g rumah kamu. Sy ni selalu sesat jalan kalau masuk kampung org.. adeh!!

SHUDAI AJLANI (dot) COM said...

Selamat yaaa sob B)

Zezebel said...

Akubiomed,
Happy belated birthday to your eldest son.

Zezebel said...

Hafid,
Tu lah pasal, sesekali bila majlis diadakan dalam suasana penuh tradisi, best juga kan?

Zezebel said...

Ismail,
Betul tu, rasa macam tak best je, hehe.

Zezebel said...

Musa,
I bet she is, ^^

Zezebel said...

Uncle Lee,
Thanks for the wish uncle Lee, ^^

Zezebel said...

Stella,
Thank you dear.

Zezebel said...

wrizuan[dot]net
Thank you.

Zezebel said...

Sobri Mansor,
Mesti kenangan yang manis kan Sobri?

Princess Zezebel Lair said...

Thanks for the wish Jolly.

Zezebel said...

Alfandi,
Thanks for stopping by. That was the budget for the wedding day.

Zezebel said...

Terima kasih Jai

Zezebel said...

mizzura,
Thanks dear.

Zezebel said...

ONN,
Jangan tidak datang a mandak.

Zezebel said...

SHUDAI AJLANI,
Terima kasih.

Wan said...

Tahniah111

dnoBiz said...

Tahnia kepada mereka..
Jangan tunggu lama lama :D

Kukogho Samson said...

really did enjoy this..congratulations to your sister

gunsirit said...

Wow, congrat to both of them..

cookingvarieties said...

wow zezebel..such a ""big money occassion for an engagement.. these days its the trend..

looks like the guys have to be pretty loaded, else... wait, wait first ok...

♥e'in♥ said...

tahniah utk die.. ;)

Post a Comment

Please don't spam my comment with your blog link. TQ.

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...